RMM Script-a Palooza Winners
Rochester Movie Makers is proud to announce the winners for Script-A-Palooza 2013! Script-A-Palooza is the kick-off event for our 2013 Summer Shorts Production season.
At Script-A-Palooza, held at the March Member Meeting of RMM, screenwriters had group readings of their ten-page (or less) screenplays, and attending members voted for their favorite one for this year’s RMM Scipt-a-Palooza Screenplay of the Year Award. This year’s winning scripts were:
First Place: Curt Markham – “Up the River”
Second Place: Mike Boas – “Ingredients”
Third Place: Hank Shaw – “Shut Your Mouth (You Stupid Idiot)”
For more info about the event, click below:
RMM will be conducting its annual script reading at the March general meeting, March 28, 2013. This is the kick-off event for our Summer Shorts season. Scriptwriters are invited to bring a short script, 10 pages maximum, and have it read aloud. The group will then vote on their favorite screenplay.
It’s a really fun night, and the winner will have bragging rights as having the best script of the year!
This is a great a way to introduce your writing to actors and crew who you may wish to collaborate with a finished film. There may also be Summer Shorts producers who are looking for scripts to shoot. This is a chance for them to hear your work performed.
Note that winning “best screenplay” is an honorary title. This does not guarantee that your short will be produced. (Each writer also retains the rights to their written work — don’t think you’re giving your story away.)
Due to time constraints, we will limit the number of scripts read to 10.
Prepare with the RMM Writers Workshop
To help prepare for the Script-A-Palooza, come out to the RMM Writers Workshops. Writers who attend will get the opportunity to work out the kinks and see how strongly each script plays with an audience.
The RMM Writers Workshops meetings are hosted by Mike Boas and Wayne Coughlin on alternate Tuesdays from 6pm to 8pm at the Pita Pit, 311 Alexander St, Rochester.
Upcoming meeting dates:
February 19, 2013
March 5, 2013
March 19, 2013
We recommend CELTX, the free and easy scriptwriting software. Sign up with your email address, download the program (from the “desktop” area), and you’re good to go. There’s a pro service that costs money, but it’s optional. Go to celtx.com
HOW TO REGISTER
- One script per writer
- Rochester Movie Makers Paid Members always have priority (Through Writer’s Workshop, then all others)
- Between 8:00 AM 3/18/12 and 12:00 MIDNIGHT 3/25/13, send an e-mail to wayne AT rochestermoviemakers DOT org with the following:
- Subject Line: 2013 Script-A-Palooza
- Attach a copy of the script in Final Draft, PDF or Microsoft Word format
- Your name, e-mail and phone number
- Indicate if you are a paid member
- You will be notified if you are one of the 10 or one of the 3 alternates (in case of no shows)
- While many writers have selected their actors at the meeting, “cold reads” are difficult even for very experienced actors. It provides a better performance if the actors are selected beforehand and have an opportunity to go over the script and are comfortable with the dialogue and are aware of plot twists, etc.
- Include copyright info in the footer of each page. Know about copyrights – see here: http://www.movieoutline.com/articles/screenplay-copyright-script-registration-facts-and-fiction.html
written by Evan Smith, Chair of the screenwriting program at SyracuseUniversity ‘s NewhouseSchool
- We suggest that you limit the number of characters – 2 to 5 characters is a good number to shoot for
- In a short film too many characters can confuse the story
- To help prepare for the Script-A-Palooza, come out to the RMM Writers Workshops to help polish your script.
The RMM Writers Workshops meetings, hosted by Mike Boas and Wayne Coughlin:
Tuesday, February 19, 6pm – 8pm, at the Pita Pit, 311 Alexander St, Rochester.
Tuesday, March 5, 6pm – 8pm, (DON’T FORGET DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!) at the Pita Pit, 311 Alexander St, Rochester.
Tuesday, March 19, 6pm – 8pm, at the Pita Pit, 311 Alexander St, Rochester.
GUIDELINES FOR SCRIPT SUBMISSION
- Scripts must be in English
- Scripts must be in standard screenplay format. Those not in the correct format will be rejected.
There are several programs available (for example):
Final Draft (~$150) and Celtx (free – https://www.celtx.com/index.html) to name two.
Here is an article on basic formatting:
- Must be consistent with a PG-13 rating or less
- There may be younger people in the audience
- Length of Script – We will read only the first 10 pages, so while scripts longer than 10 pages may be accepted, reading will cut off at page 10
AT THE MARCH MEETING
- Bring a signed copy of the entry/release form and submit to Wayne Coughlin or Mike Boas
- Bring sufficient copies of your script for the actors and narrator (for slug lines and action blocks)
- Get a reading sequence number.
- Once script reading commences, alternates will be given any outstanding slots.
- Ballots will be handed out at the start of the reading period listing scripts to be read
- Everyone in attendance will get at least 1 vote
- Paid members will get an additional 2 votes for a total of 3 votes per ballot
- After all scripts are read, circle your 3 favorite scripts on the ballot
- Voting will be tabulated and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners announced.
- Each winning writer will receive a certificate
- Winners names and script titles will be posted on the RMM Website