Thanks again to all the writers for sharing their scripts with us.
The winners of the 2015 Script-a-Palooza were:
1st – Hank Shaw for “Honest, God! We’ve never Eaten Anyone’s Brains with a Spoon!”
2nd (tie) – Curt Markham for “A History Lesson”
And Justin Curtis & Chad Olson for “Blind Cops”
3rd – Ken Rhodes for “Circle the Block”
Congratulations and thank you to all that participated!See the details and rules for 2015
HAVE YOUR SCRIPT READ BY ACTORS IN FRONT OF AN AUDIENCE!
VIE FOR A CHANCE TO WIN BRAGGING RIGHTS AS THE BEST SHORT SCRIPT!
NETWORK – AN OPPORTUNITY TO INTEREST LOCAL FILM MAKERS IN YOUR SCRIPT!
The 2015 Rochester Movie Makers Script-A-Palooza is a fun event to be held at the March 26, 2015 General Meeting at RCTV, Gorham Street, Rochester, NY. There will be table reads of registered scripts and at the end of the evening – voting to select the top scripts read.
In years past, many of the scripts read have gone on to be produced in our Summer Shorts Challenge – either by the writer or in conjunction with another local film maker.
Due to time constraints, we will limit the number of scripts read to 10.
GUIDELINES FOR SCRIPT SUBMISSION
- Scripts must be in English
- Scripts must be in standard screenplay format. Those not in the correct format will be rejected.
There are several programs available (for example):
Final Draft (~$150) and Celtx (free – https://www.celtx.com/index.html) to name two.
Here is an article on basic formatting:
- Must be consistent with a PG-13 rating or less
– There may be younger people in the audience
– Some adult language is acceptable, but graphic descriptions of sexual acts (in action blocks or dialogue) and other types of writing that would be offensive to general community standards will be prohibited.
- Length of Script – We will read only the first 10 pages, so while scripts longer than 10 pages may be accepted, reading will cut off at the end of page 10.
- Scripts can be reviewed at one of the RMM Writer’s Workshops hosted by Mike Boas and Wayne Coughlin prior to submission
Dates for the Workshops are: 2/18/2015, 3/4/2015, 3/18/2015
Location: TBD – Watch the Facebook page for location
Time: 6pm to 8pm
HOW TO REGISTER
- One script per writer
- Rochester Movie Makers Paid Members always have priority
- Between 8:00 AM 3/16/15 and 12:00 MIDNIGHT 3/23/15, send an e-mail to wayne AT rochestermoviemakers DOT org with the following:
– Subject Line: 2015 Script-A-Palooza
– Attach a copy of the script in Final Draft, PDF or Microsoft Word format
– Your name, e-mail and phone number
– Indicate if you are a paid member
- You will be notified if you are one of the 10 or one of the 3 alternates (in case of no shows)
- While many writers have selected their actors at the meeting, “cold reads” are difficult even for very experienced actors. It provides a better performance if the actors are selected beforehand and have an opportunity to go over the script and are comfortable with the dialogue and are aware of plot twists, etc.
- Include copyright info in the footer of each page. Know about copyrights – see here: http://www.movieoutline.com/articles/screenplay-copyright-script-registration-facts-and-fiction.html
written by Evan Smith, Chair of the screenwriting program at Syracuse University ‘s Newhouse School
- We suggest that you limit the number of characters – 2 to 5 characters is a good number to shoot for
– In a short film too many characters can confuse the story
AT THE MARCH MEETING
- Bring a signed copy of the entry/release form and submit to Wayne Coughlin or Mike Boas
- Bring sufficient copies of your script for the actors and narrator (for slug lines and action blocks)
- Get a reading sequence number.
- Once script reading commences, alternates will be given any outstanding slots.
- Ballots will be handed out at the start of the reading period listing scripts to be read
– Everyone in attendance will get at least 1 vote
– Paid members will get an additional 1 vote for a total of 2 votes per ballot
– After all scripts are read, circle your 3 favorite scripts on the ballot
- Voting will be tabulated and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners announced.
– Each winning writer will receive a certificate
– Winners names and script titles will be posted on the RMM Website